Mark McDonald MSc
Mobile: 07974 959262
Summary: A Freelance IT consultant with over 20 years experience, able to work on own initiative or as part of a team. Has well honed analysis, design and project management skills as well as the ability to quickly pick up and become productive with new technologies.Having completed a Masters Degree in Web Technologies and Security technically challenging roles are required which will allow continual career progression.
Freelance IT Consultant: June 1997 – present
Currently working on two projects. The first one is the conversion of a QT C++ embedded chip communication program to Delphi XE10. The second is a conversion of a customer’s ERP system from Foxpro to C# and MS SQL Server.
Other projects for customers include –
• Real time Andon monitoring system using Node.js, Python and a Raspberry Pi
• Online transcription service designed in Drupal 7 along with RESTful web services and Paypal integration.
• Intranet based shop floor recording database designed using the YII PHP framework, SQL Server, SQL Reporting Services,SQL Server Integration Services.
• Rationalisation and integration of a customer’s disparate ERP and Sage systems using Delphi XE10,SQL Server and SQL Reporting Services.
• Conversion of Visual Basic ActiveX components to Delphi DLL components.
• Research, design and implementation of a Java/Glassfish based 3-tier web application used to record and report OEE measurements
• Wireless data capture project, using PDAs, an ASP.NET front end and a MS SQL server back end.
• Development of a web enabled change notification system in Lotus Notes and XPages.
• Maintenance and amendments to a C# application that used a SQLite database.
• Part of a project team on an iSeries to SAP ERP migration.
• Installation of a Radio Frequency bar-coding system. This included the analysis, design and implementation of the system requirements. This system interfaced with the customer’s existing iSeries ERP system.
Customers: Spinnaker International-Saltash, Rittal-CSM – Plymouth, Superwinch-Tavistock, Thornbury Manufacturing – Plymouth, Centrax- Newton Abbott, Trundlewood Property Management-Plymouth, Mendip Media Group – Exeter
History : Centrax Ltd, Newton Abbot: April 1995 – May 1997.
As IT Manager of a medium sized manufacturing plant, I was responsible for all aspects of the companies IT systems. Responsibilities included, three members of staff, negotiating with various internal and external contacts, budgetary control, managing various development projects and formulating a company IT strategy. Projects included: –
• Successfully project managed the installation of a 120-user network.
Eaton Ltd, Plymouth: February 1985 – March 1995
Over the 10 years, I was at Eaton I worked my way up from the position of Trainee Computer Operator to IT Manager. I was eventually responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day running of the IT department.Projects included: –
• Co project managed the successful implementation of Infor Fourth Shift ERP package – IBM MAAPICS replacement.
Masters Degree in Web Technologies & Security at Plymouth University.
BTEC in 3D Advanced CAD using 3D Studio Max from Plymouth CFE.
Southway Comprehensive School, Rockfield Avenue, Southway, Plymouth, Devon.
Qualifications: 7 ‘O’ Levels, 2 CSE’s
Details: Driving License: Yes – Clean
Health: Good – Non-Smoker
I have recently developed an interest in 3D graphics and digital art. I also have non-computer related interests, which include Swimming, Squash, playing and watching both Football and Cricket, travelling, playing my guitar (poorly!) and social evenings out with friends.
Available on request
Click the link for a copy of my Curriculum Vitae in .pdf format